You are not alone
You or a loved one went through a traumatic, life altering homicide or violent crime. You may be left wondering, what do I do now? Where do I go from here? The Iowa Attorney General’s office has funded programs throughout the state of Iowa so that you don’t have to face this alone. So many times when placed in this kind of situation there is an overwhelming feeling of being lost, loss of control or fear of who you can talk to or trust. These programs are here to give victims and survivors immediate care as well as ongoing support so you can gain control of your life again.
How can one of these programs help me?
Each program understands that each case is unique and will work to provide specialized services to every victim and/or survivor. Services can be both immediate and long term. Programs will provide you with support during the criminal justice process and help you work through what you may be experiencing emotionally, mentally and physically. Services could include, but are not limited to, the following:
- 24 Hour Crisis support and intervention
- Victim Rights and Notification
- Assistance with immediate concerns
- Emotional support
- Funeral Advocacy
- Information and Referral
- Personal Advocacy and Accompaniment
- Guidance with Media Attention
- Criminal Justice Process Information
- Court Accompaniment
- Case coordination through investigation, prosecution, and post-sentencing
- Assistance in filing for financial compensation for crime related expenses (Crime Victim Compensation Forms)
- Liaison with Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI)
- Victim Impact Statement Assistance
- Advocate and Accompaniment in Parole Hearings
- Post-Conviction Support
How much does it cost?
All services provided by these programs are completely free and always confidential.
How do I get started?
To see if one of these programs may be able to help you, click here to find your local program. You can also call the Iowa Victim Service Call Center at 1.800.770.1650 or text IOWAHELP to 20121. Advocates are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They can help you find your local program as well as additional resources, or just talk if that’s what you need.